Free wifi is offered in almost all commercial and retail establishments. People use it all the time but very few people exercise caution when using these Free wifi hotspots.
- Whenever you are using these free wifi connections, you should disable all sharing settings else people can easily hack into your computer. These sharing settings could be for songs, printer access, directories and files.
- If you want to use a public network you should use a VPN or a virtual private network. Using this you can get the privacy of a private network though you are on a public wifi system. These VPN services guarantee total integrity of the connection for you. It is a smart move especially if you regularly use public wifi systems
- You should not allow your phone or computer to automatically connect to whichever wifi hotspot is available. This may connect you to malicious networks.
- You should use https websites and not the http ones. HTTPS websites encrypt your data so even if the data is intercepted, it is in encrypted form. You can also create an encrypted connection using HTTPS everywhere. This is a plug-in which when enabled will encrypt all your data and so your data will be safe
- Many sites offer 2 factor authentications. So even if your password is available to the hacker he or she will not be able to log into your account as they do not have the other piece of information.
- You should enable two step authentications on your mails and other sites.
- Sometimes hackers use fake wifi networks. When you connect to that wifi network, your personal information could be compromised.
- You should protect your passwords and use password managers if you tend to forget them.